Carver campers left today for 10 days at New Pond Farm!
For over 30 years, New Pond Farm has served as a year-round environmental education center with a small working farm. It is dedicated to connecting people with the land that enriches and sustains us all, and they do this through their school field trips, adult lectures, family programs, children’s classes, and their unique summer camp, which the Carver campers in this photo will be enjoying for the next 10 days!
New Pond Farm's 102-acre property is located in West Redding. It was once the home of its founder, actress Carmen Mathews. It provides an outstanding array of outdoor classrooms which include woodlands, wetlands, an evolving scrub and shrub area, a pollinator meadow, and rolling pastures.
- Native American programs are enhanced by an authentically-recreated encampment.
- Their astronomy buildings are home to monthly programs as well as being the field station for Joel Barlow High School’s Astronomy classes.
- Their vegetable and herb gardens are featured in their programs.
- Their farm programs take place in barns, which house milking cows, sheep, chickens and roosters.
- Their barn-like Learning Center with its classroom and spacious meeting areas has been the site of art shows, adult lectures, barn dances, and more.
In 2007, New Pond Farm was designated a Connecticut Dairy Farm of Distinction. People visiting the Dairy Annex may purchase freshly pasteurized milk and yogurt.
In the summer New Pond Farm hosts a small and personal residential camp. During three ten-day sessions, they bring together children from the inner cities of Connecticut (their residential campers) with children from the surrounding area (their day campers). Together these youngsters, aged 8-12, from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds form friendships, develop an understanding and appreciation of one another as individuals, and have a marvelous time discovering the many wonders of the farm.
Carver is a longtime partner with New Pond Farm and we are deeply grateful for the transforming experiences they offer to our summer campers.